Thursday, May 6, 2010

Like Everyday

The light goes out at 6.30 in the morning. Its cool outside but inside the confines of my room, heat descends on me like a patient predator waiting all night to have beads of my sweat for an early morning breakfast. I wake up. The birds outside are in a furore. Everyday holds so much adventure and promise for them. I envy their noise. I stretch out my arms trying to shrug off the weight off my yesterday so that I can take on what today has to offer to me.
That's how my day begins. Everyday. I do my routine in the gym, have a long bath (though in minutes I am sweating again and I think what good was the bath?), take my car keys and wallet from the desk, pick up my bag and my apron and head up for breakfast. There's no time for reading the newspaper. I quickly munch on the food, drink my daily dose of Lassi and reverse out the car out of the house to drive the 7.5 km to the hospital.
I know that the traffic will be pathetic even at 9am in the morning near the bus stand. Everyone is in a hurry and almost no one is bothered about the rules of the road. So my hand automatically puts the gear in 2nd or even 1st for that matter. Like everyday. I know the expected bumps and potholes, I know where the thullas will be (though the traffic is actually better without them), I know where I can speed up the car and I know where I am going to park it inside the hospital. Like everyday.
The hospital is not much of a change either.I give the patients OPD numbers, write prescriptions, explain to them that they won't get most of the medicines in the hospital's drug store, listen to the monotonous whine of the medical representatives, take attendance and come back. Like everyday.
Once I reach home, I am sick of the heat. The car had been baked in the sun and even the AC on full blast could do little to drive that heat away. I have lunch and sit on my desk for a date with the buggers who wrote these PG entrance exams books. I invariably have some post prandial sleep but I am able to carry on. By 8.30 in the evening I am thoroughly bored. Like everyday.
I have no friends here. One disadvantage for being away from home for 12 years. There is no one to hang out with. The thrill in life is gone. In college, plans used to be formulated in moments. One moment you would be sitting and studying and the other you might just be speeding off on a bike to a nearby lake. The adventure and the thrill of the uncertainty of the next moment has disappeared. I have nothing to do and there is nothing much I can do about it. I have to study, I have to go to the hospital, I have to wake up early and I have to live each day like everyday. It's killing me.

1 comment: