Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Grass, the Beer, the Music


I was poring over the pages of the insanely monotonous Amit-Ashish book reading an even insaner subject called Preventive and Social Medicine. My mind was rattled by "epidemiology, statistics, sensitivity, specificity..blah blah blah". I gave in finally to my continuously rising urge to put on the earphones of my newly bought phone. I hit the play button of the playlist I made just yesterday.
First song: November Rain! I had named this playlist as "Ethereal", full of those songs which really make my hair stand up. Slash's piercing solo just does it all and the lines - "I know it's hard to keep an open heart, when even friends seem out to harm you. But if you could heal the broken heart, wouldn't time be out to charm you!" Oh they simply made me travel back in time. The endless "daaru parties", the roadtrips, the Amberro, the Grass and this kind of music! What a time it was! I remember one of the first times we were having this kind of a party in the bedbug ridden room on 1 mid floor in the AFMC hostel. There we were, in our first year, drinking White Mischief in the dimmest of lights with Akshat Vyas' music CDs playing on an All in One player (yes, laptops ka craze nahi aya tha). And how we boozed out on Pink Floyd and Judas Priest. I clearly remember that Beyond the Realms of Death was definitely played that night. And after that, we put in lit matchsticks into the empty Vodka bottles to trip out on the ghostly glow they gave! Next day, there was some inspection and the officers who came wondered if we smoked!
The feeling I always got after going high is so difficult to put in words. Obviously as the feeling is really felt at the time one is high! There was this one time, after our 5th term Prelim exams, we were partying in my small single room, all of us, the Ganjedis and the Chitedis and the Kukkus. We decided to play the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack and to get stoned by the time it ended, some 45 odd minutes. I put the I-tunes on the visualizer mode, shut off the light and just twirled in the dazzling array of colors it brought forth! So fucking trippy! And then as people told me later I was sitting in a meditational pose! Another time, me and Prabhu smoked up weed and hogged the costliest dinner we had in the Insti Canteen ever! For those of you who don't know, Cannabis makes you really hungry!
Then I left weed for good, deciding I will smoke up once more before I left college. I came down to alcohol. And though it wasn't bad but it is no way better than weed. Reasons:
1. No hangover with weed.
2. No liver damage, nor any lung damage(if you smoke it pure)
3. No addiction(medically this is a fact)
4. Makes you really hungry.
5. Hits fast, fades fast.
6. Most importantly, DIRT CHEAP!
For the next 3 years I was to survive on all kinds of alcohol. Went from Vodka to Rum to Whiskey to Beer and then Rum again. Then came the day, the last time I smoked up, with Sutta Vyas. Silhouettes, our college fest was going on and we decided to hog on the Burger Barn burgers after our weed session. He played this song called Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley and though the song is some 6 odd minutes long I felt like it was playing for 20 minutes! He has clicked some stoned pictures of mine which I haven't got to see as yet. Then we went to the Burger stall floating in the air as we glided over the ground. Yes, I actually felt like flying. The stall was closed! After giving do chaar maa behen ki gaali we headed off to the AFMC adda Snehal. What a day!
And as I write this, I am listening to Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah! The twirling colors, the smell of grass, the taste of beer and the Chicken Manchurian of Insti is all engraved in my mind. And it wouldn't be wrong if I said - "Every breath we drew was Hallelujah!" Truly, college was heaven!

4 comments:

  1. "He has clicked some stoned pictures of mine which I haven't got to see as yet." Ghati you ass, you make it sound as if I made a mms or something of that sorts. Btw tere TCs ke bhi ek do jungli pics hain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really like this one..brings back college memories (which are just a month old)

    ReplyDelete